be worth being p.p. structure

younghon

Korean - Korea
Hello,

example: The book is worth being read carefully.

I wonder 'being read' in this sentence is right or not. Someone says it is right, but somebody says it is

wrong.

Thank you very much in advance.

• velisarius

British English (Sussex)
    "This book is worth being charged $20 dollars for." - The book is worth the money, even though it cost me $20.

I think the "be worth being + past participle" construction is possible, but I don't think your example sentence works.
    The book is worth reading / It's worth reading the book carefully.

younghon

Korean - Korea
    Thank you for your quick answer.
    But I am still confused about the usage of worth being done.
    Would you give some more examples ,using '...worth being done...'?

I need four or five example sentences in order to understand it clearly.
    Have a good day. Thank you very much in advance.

entangledbank

English - South-East England
    It's a very rare construction. In the British National Corpus, a large database of real English from a variety of sources, there are only three examples of 'worth being' with a past participle:

(1) I am only worth being used. [written by a character in a novel]
    (2) Help them to stick up for themselves and see that it is not worth being treated badly just in order to have a best friend.
    (3) he declares it is worth being lost [after a shipwreck] when reunion is so pleasant

And we probably shouldn't count (3), as 'lost' is more like an adjective. To me (1) sounds odd, though (2) is natural. Basically, this construction might be possible in rare circumstances, but it's not something you ever need to use.

PaulQ

Banned
    UK
    English - England
    Hello,

example: The book is worth being read carefully.
    :cross:

The book is worth
    reading carefully. :tick: -> the passive voice is not needed.

In entangledbank's examples, "(2) Help them to stick up for themselves and see that it is not worth being treated badly [by others] just in order to have a best friend." You will see that the passive is correct and required

Kirill V.

Russian
    It's a very rare construction. In the British National Corpus, a large database of real English from a variety of sources, there are only three examples of 'worth being' with a past participle:

(1) I am only worth being used. [written by a character in a novel]
    (2) Help them to stick up for themselves and see that it is not worth being treated badly just in order to have a best friend.
    (3) he declares it is worth being lost [after a shipwreck] when reunion is so pleasant

And we probably shouldn't count (3), as 'lost' is more like an adjective. To me (1) sounds odd, though (2) is natural. Basically, this construction might be possible in rare circumstances, but it's not something you ever need to use.
    Isn't my example worth adding to this list, however? :)
    Since saying
    It's going to be a beautiful building! It is really worth building.
    sounds strange, doesn't it?..

< Previous | Next >