be worth praise

Chinese Su

Chinese
I am learning to express the same idea in different ways. For example,

His selfless devotion to education is worth praising.

Is "is worth praise" an idiomatic alternative here? Thank you :)

Last edited:
  • snargleplax

English - Northwestern United States
    I don't find it noticeably less idiomatic than "worth praising," but I find both odd because it's more natural to say "praiseworthy."

Chinese Su

Chinese
    I don't find it noticeably less idiomatic than "worth praising," but I find both odd because it's more natural to say "praiseworthy."
    I see! Thanks so much for your answer, Snargleplax! :D

His selfless devotion to education is praiseworthy. :thumbsup: :tick:

Speaking of "N-worthy", how about "His selfless devotion to education is worthy of praise"?

Is it less odd than either of my original sentences? Thank you :)

dojibear

English - Northeast US
    I agree. "Worthy of praise" and combined version "praiseworthy" are very old, standard phrases in English. The meaning is similar to "great" and "wonderful". When I saw your title "worth praise" I immediately thought you meant "worthy".

Edited after feedback:

"X is worth praising" can have a couple meanings. In the most common one "worth" means the same as "worthy". That use is fine.

Sometimes the sentence is used to mean "It is worthwhile to praise X": it is the praising, not X, that is valued.

Last edited:

snargleplax

English - Northwestern United States
    The phrase "worth praising" is not a standard idiom. "Worth" is often a money value, though it can also be an intangible "value" like respect.

"X is worth praising." is ambiguous. Does X have worth that should be praised? Or does the action "praising X" have value for us? If I am a waiter at a restaurant, the more I praise a rich customer, the bigger my tip will be. So rich customers are worth praising.
    I'm sorry, but this is hogwash. The definition of "worth" you refer to is a noun. It's not ambiguous if the word is clearly not being used as a noun, which is not the case. The sentence parses and makes sense just fine, it's just not idiomatic.

Chinese Su

Chinese
    I agree. "Worthy of praise" and combined version "praiseworthy" are very old, standard phrases in English. The meaning is similar to "great" and "wonderful". When I saw your title "worth praise" I immediately thought you meant "worthy".

Edited after feedback:

"X is worth praising" can have a couple meanings. In the most common one "worth" means the same as "worthy". That use is fine.

Sometimes the sentence is used to mean "It is worthwhile to praise X": it is the praising, not X, that is valued.
    I'm sorry, but this is hogwash. The definition of "worth" you refer to is a noun. It's not ambiguous if the word is clearly not being used as a noun, which is not the case. The sentence parses and makes sense just fine, it's just not idiomatic.
    I see, Dojibear and Snargleplax! Thanks so much for your detailed explanations ! :D

< Previous | Next >