bead / pearl

< Previous | Next >

Qwazerty

French
Hi, I came accross the word bead, translated in french in perle.

I though a pearl was "une perle".

Though I'm not a jeweller, it did catch my attention. So if you have any explanation...

Thanks

• All in One

Banned
    franco-français
    pearl c'est la perle qu'on trouve dans les huîtres et qui a une valeur en joaillerie

bead c'est n'importe quelle perle : en verre, en bois, plastoc ; dont on se sert pour fabriquer un collier

Stouflette

French
    "Pearls are made by moluscs. Beads are made by people or machines. Pearls may be precious, but beads, unless very old and unusual, are usually very cheap. Pearls do not have holes in them until somebody decides to put holes in them for stringing."

yuechu

Canada, English
    If someone is talking about the jewelry they own and mention a "collier de perles", how can the interlocutor know if the "perles" are referring to pearls or beads?

If one wants to be specific, would one say "collier de vraies perles" opposed to "collier de perles en verre/plastique, etc" ?

Thanks/Merci d'avance !

Kajeetah

French - France
    When you say "collier de perles", it means pearls. Except if it's the necklace your son/daughter made in school for mother's day.
    Otherwise you say "collier de perles en bois" etc.
    But if you want to be more precise, you can say "collier de perles de culture"

Keith Bradford

English (Midlands UK)
    Perles de culture = pearls.
    I'm surprised!

English makes a distinction between "cultured pearls" and "natural pearls". This is like the difference between farmed trout and wild trout: cultured pearls have been grown by human intervention, inserting a small 'seed' into the oyster.

So what's that in French?

[Cross-posted]

Kajeetah

French - France
    Well nowadays most pearls are "cultured pearls", aren't they? Of course they're not as natural as "natural pearls" but they still com from oysters.
    But maybe I'm mistaken. For me, to say "perles de culture" is the easiest way to differenciate pearls from beads in French - even if it's not the most accurate.

mrzp

USA
    Français - France
    et les billes dans tout ça ?
    je pense à "Grinding beads", qu'on traduit par "billes de broyage"?

Lly4n4

Français (France)
    English makes a distinction between "cultured pearls" and "natural pearls": cultured pearls have been grown by human intervention, inserting a small 'seed' into the oyster.

So what's that in French?[Cross-posted]
    In French, "pearls" are called "perles (naturelles)" ("naturelles" by contrast with wood/plastic beads).
    Cultured ones are "perles de culture", and natural pearls are "perles fines".

< Previous | Next >