Beams refer to a grave

Anne Frank

Russian
‘Then they were off. Beams back over the grave, close the lid on the coffin and away.’
Hello there! I'm sorry in advance about the question, but what those beams actually are whenever you're talking about graves?
Thanks for helping, the source, as usual, is the Gereon Rath mystery book 1.

• owlman5

English-US
    "Beams back over the grave" makes no sense to me, Anne, unless the grave is covered by beams of wood for some reason that isn't obvious from reading the sentence by itself.

Who are these people? Is there anything in this source that suggests the grave is covered by a roof that is supported by beams? In what period of time does the story take place? Does the story deal with some adventure among Vikings, perhaps, or Neolithic cultures?

Answers to any of those questions provide information that may be helpful to people who are kind enough to answer your question.;) All that stuff is context, which members need to see so that they can be sure their remarks are sensible.

Last edited:

Florentia52

Modwoman in the attic
    English - United States
    I think we need some more context, Anne Frank. What is going on in this situation? Has there been a previous reference to beams?

Anne Frank

Russian
    I think we need some more context, Anne Frank. What is going on in this situation? Has there been a previous reference to beams?
    Yes, there has definitely been something, but I don't remember, back to This situation, the line belongs to a boy, a witness of a crime when two unknown men tipped out a grave which was already prepared for a funeral ceremony a police officer.
    The is just describing this episode.

owlman5

English-US
    Thank you for providing a little context, Anne. It was helpful. An open grave might be covered by beams of wood to prevent the grave from being filled with water by rain before the actual funeral takes place. I suspect that explains the meaning of "beams back over the grave."

The two unknown men probably removed those beams so that they could do something in that grave. Perhaps they hoped to find something valuable in there. Then they replaced the beams over the grave so that nobody would know that they had been snooping around in the hole.

Anne Frank

Russian
    Thank you for providing a little context, Anne. It was helpful. An open grave might be covered by beams of wood to prevent the grave from being filled with water by rain before the actual funeral takes place. I suspect that explains the meaning of "beams back over the grave."

The two unknown men probably removed those beams so that they could do something in that grave. Perhaps they hoped to find something valuable in there. Then they replaced the beams over the grave so that nobody would know that they had been snooping around in the hole.
    So do I! Actually I'm pretty sure now. Thanks a lot

Hermione Golightly

British English
    Probably what might usually be called planks of wood, bearing in mind this is a translation from German. To my mind, beams are substantial and found in ceilings/roofs/floors.

< Previous | Next >