"beans counter"

• mariposita

US, English
    It's bean counter:

bean counter
    n : an accountant or bureaucrat who who is believed to place undue emphasis on the control of expenditures

bean counter
    n. Slang
    A person, such as an accountant or financial officer, who is concerned with quantification, especially to the exclusion of other matters: “Companies tended to recognize two cultures--that of the technologist and that of the bean counter” (Financial Times).

Centella

Spanish - Uruguay
    The Hudson case is the first time ever that a court has allowed bean counters to override the wishes of parents.

Thanks Mariposita, but couldnt understand the exact meaning. So i added the whole sentence above... If you wish, you can answer me in spanish (you´re living in madrid so i can imagine you speak spanish quiteeeeeeeee well!!!!! hahaha!!).

many many many thanks

ablazza

English, UK
    I've usually heard it as 'bean counter', and it is one of my favourite descriptions of anyone who is petty, prescriptive, piously precise, etc. ie. someone who makes a fuss about something completely pointless like how many beans there are.

mariposita

US, English
    A ver... parece que es la primera vez que factores económicas (representadas por bean counters) han superado los derechos paternales. En este caso Hudson, el hospital decidió terminar la asistencia médica (supuestamente por motivos económicos). Los padres quisieron seguir con el tratamiento. Por eso los bean counters--los que solo consideran la relación coste-beneficio--prevalecieron.

Oops, I just realized that this is the English-only forum... In this case, the parents wanted to keep the child alive, using medical intervention. The hospital decided against them and the medical care was suspended. The bean counters prevailed, because economic factors were considered over parental rights.

Centella

Spanish - Uruguay
    A todos, millones de graciassssssssssssss!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    You helped me quite quite a lot!!!!! Billions of thanks!!!!!!!!!!

maxiogee

Banned
    imithe
    Centella said:
    A todos, millones de graciassssssssssssss!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    You helped me quite quite a lot!!!!! Billions of thanks!!!!!!!!!!
    Do we need to get in the bean counters to authenticate the quantity of thanks?
    I note that we English-speakers are given more thanks than the Spanish-speakers! :D

Centella

Spanish - Uruguay
    hahahahhaa!!!! maxi, you made my day!!
    billions of thanks again... (start counting), hahahaha!!

< Previous | Next >