beard

< Previous | Next >
Hello everyone,

I'd appreciate it very much if you could help me with these expressions about beard. (Just ticks and crosses will do)

1. If I want to express all the hair that grows on a man's face ,
I can use a beard :
He wears a beard
or
He wears beard.

2. If I want to express one thin piece of the hair that grows on a man's face,
I can use a beard too:
He pulled a beard off.
He has a white beard.

3. other expressions:
He doesn't want to wear beard before twenty.
His beard
Their beards
The study of beards
The study of the beard
Does he grow beard?
I saw a white beard among his beard this morning.

Many thanks in advance.

• cyberpedant

English USA, Northeast, NYC
    Hello everyone,

I'd appreciate it very much if you could help me with these expressions about beard. (Just ticks and crosses will do)

1. If I want to express all the hair that grows on a man's face ,
    I can use a beard :
    He wears a beard :tick:
    or
    He wears beard.:cross:

2. If I want to express one thin piece of the hair that grows on a man's face,
    I can use a beard too:
    He pulled a beard off. I believe you mean, "whisker."
    He has a white beard.

3. other expressions:
    He doesn't want to wear a beard before twenty.
    His beard :tick:
    Their beards :tick:
    The study of beards :tick:
    The study of the beard :tick:
    Does he grow a beard?
    I saw a white [beard] whisker {among} in his beard this morning.

Many thanks in advance.

suma

USA
    English, USA
    As with most nouns in English, it needs either a definite or indefinite article in front of it. In this case the indefinite article (a) is more natural sounding.

out2lnch

English-Canada
    Well, someone can only have one beard at a time, so it is countable. Also, you hear "wear a beard", but more common in North America (I think it is in the US anyway) is to "have a beard". For example: "does he have a beard?" You could also ask if he is bearded (adjective as in "the bearded lady").

GreenWhiteBlue

USA - English
    When do natives use beard with bare articles?
    ???

What are "bare articles"?

Can I say he has two white beards now?
    You can say it, but it would make no sense. A man has only one beard at a time. If, however you were referring to ten bearded men in a club, and two of them had white beards, you might say "there are two white beards to be seen in the club now."

Dimcl

Canadian English
    http://www.oup.com/oald-bin/web_getald7index1a.pl

Beard is labelled both countable and uncountable. When do natives use beard with bare articles? Can I say he has two white beards now?

Thanks.
    I think that you're mixing up "beard" with "hair" or "whisker", OFD. If a man doesn't shave his face for 2 or 3 days, the hairs on his face aren't long enough to be considered a "beard". He hasn't shaved and his "whiskers"/"facial hairs" have grown. In North America, we often call 2 or 3 days of facial hair growth "stubble".

What do you mean by a man having two white beards? He has one face - if he grows his facial hair long, he has one beard. He has a beard.

Sorry.I didn't make myself understood.

1. cyberpadent has told me that I can say I saw a white whisker in his beard this morning.
    So two whiskers seem correct.. Can one say two beards to mean the same meaning as two whiskers instead of meaning two bearded persons.?
    2. On what occasion do natives say beard , without using articles?

Thanks again.

wildan1

Moderando ma non troppo (French-English, CC Mod)
    English - USA
    He has a beard can mean

--he has hair growing on his face (for example a teenager who is just starting to shave), compared to two years ago, when he didn't yet have a beard. But he shaves, so you don't see hair on his face.

--he has grown the hair on his face so you can see it, compared to last month, when he shaved every day

But if you are talking about the specific hairs growing on the face, each one is called a whisker

PS A beard is also a slang term for a woman that a closeted gay man takes along to a social occasion as a date/spouse, so it appears that he is not gay.

jucami

USA (English)
    1. To me it sounds unnatural to give a specific number of whiskers, because you probably would not actually count the white whiskers on a person's face...maybe you could say "there were some white whiskers in his beard." It sounds even more natural to say "his beard is turning white."
    2. I cannot think of any instance in which "beard" would appear without an article or a possessive pronoun: "He shaved his beard," "I have a beard."

Cagey

post mod (English Only / Latin)
    English - US
    Are you trying to find a use in which beard is uncountable?

The source you refer us to gives one common usage in which "beard" is uncountable in the way "hair" can be:
    "He had had a week's growth of beard."​

I think that otherwise, uncountable uses are uncommon, but here are a couple of examples:

From a book written in 1868:
    "The artist loves to give to the favourite of our Lord all the physical graces that adorn woman, with scarcely sufficient beard to show that he is male. ..."​

And a more recent complaint:
    "I don't have enough beard on my face. Are there any medicines for it?"​

Dimcl

Canadian English
    Sorry.I didn't make myself understood.

1. cyberpadent has told me that I can say I saw a white whisker in his beard this morning.
    So two whiskers seem correct.. Can one say two beards to mean the same meaning as two whiskers instead of meaning two bearded persons.?
    2. On what occasion do natives say beard , without using articles?

Thanks again.
    A whisker is not a beard. A beard is the entire mass of hair on a man's cheeks/chin/neck. It is made up of many whiskers/hairs. A "moustache" is the entire mass of hair on a man's upper lip. It is made up of many whiskers/hairs.

< Previous | Next >