Discussion in 'Specialized Terminology' started by uma alfaro, Jun 25, 2013.

  1. uma alfaro Senior Member

    Hola, estoy traduciendo un manual del sistema HVAC, me podrían ayudar? ¡Gracias!

    Actual power requirements at the pump shaft will be greater than the power absorbed by the pumped water. This is because of friction losses in the bearings, water friction itself and recirculation within the pump.

    Los requerimientos actuales de fuerza en el eje de la bomba serán mayores que la fuerza que absorba el agua bombeada. Esto se debe a las pérdidas de fricción en el bearing , la fricción del agua y la recirculación dentro de la bomba.
  2. Benzene

    Benzene Senior Member

    Italian from Italy
    Hi uma!

    My suggestion is as follows:

    "bearings" = "cojinetes".


  3. Keahi Senior Member

    castellano, Perú
    Yes, but it's more appropriate to say, "Rodamientos".
  4. Sethi I

    Sethi I Senior Member

    Los Ángeles-Chile
    Generically bearing means : apoyo, asiento, o bién cojinete, only if you add an adjetive e.r. ball bearing can say:rodamiento de bolas
    See you
  5. Keahi Senior Member

    castellano, Perú
    I disagree.
    When you say "bearing" you can translate to Spanish like "cojinete, casquillo, buje, rodamiento, etc.".
    However in Spanish there are subtle difference between each other.
    When you say "cojinete", normally you mean a only one piece which serve to a shaft to turn o slide over it, that is the reason these produce very hard friction of work. Unless you say "Cojinetes de bolas", but this almost never is used.
    Ok. When you say "Rodamiento", you mean Ball, roller or neddle bearings, however when you say "rodamiento" almost always you mean "Ball bearings". Ball is omitted in both English and Spanish almost always.
    According to the context of Uma Alfaro, should be "(Ball) bearing", Rodamiento (de bolas), because is a motor and this bearing reduce the friction of the impeller shaft in its rotation. (It's a water pump). This is a perfect example to see how "Ball" is omitted.
    Of course, always I can be wrong.
    Please correct my English. Thanks.
    Un abrazo.
  6. Sethi I

    Sethi I Senior Member

    Los Ángeles-Chile
    As you say there are many diferents kinds of bearings you can think of; taper roller bearing, wheel bearing, journal bearing, thrust bearing and so on....just want to emphasize that we don´t know the kind this particular pump use.
    By the way for me
    cojinete is pillow block, casquillo is socket or casing and buje is bushing
    See you
  7. Keahi Senior Member

    castellano, Perú
    Sethi you're right¡¡
    I just to say that "bearing" in Spanish can be "Cojinetes or Rodamientos", both are correct but there is subtle difference between two.
    In the second case you're right again, there are many kind of bearings, but you only do reference to these when you want be more specific or give more details about these bearings, otherwise, to say "Rodamiento" is enough.
    You have many examples in the industry, (here, to go to "Rotor").

    In motors, English:

    In water pumps, English:
    (here Control F and bearing)

    And so many more.
    I hope I haven't many mistakes to redact my reply.
    Un abrazo.
  8. nsv Senior Member

    Silkeborg, DK
    Thank you, Keahi, for your explanation of the different terms.
    I just want to add that in HVAC systems the pump circulating the hot water is very often a wet-runner, i.e. the rotor of the electric motor is immersed together with the pump rotor in the water. This design does not use ball bearings, but rather sliding bearings - either ceramic or carbon, very efficiently lubricated by the water.
    Wouldn't that be cojinetes?

  9. Keahi Senior Member

    castellano, Perú
    In that case "Cojinetes" would be the most appropriate term in Spanish.
    However, I don't know about an equipment which the rotor of the electric motor is in the inner of the case of the water pump, normally you find this in two parts and the component that you describe is the "Seal" and serves to avoid water leakages but don't help to rotation of the shaft.
    I think that Uma Alfaro talking about "Industrial Chillers", these have water pumps in two parts, Electric motor and water pump itself, linked with an external coupling (usually).
    Of course, there are many equipment that I don't know them and that's why I can always be wrong.
    Please correct my English. Thanks.
    Un abrazo.

Share This Page