1. The forums will be closed for a major forum upgrade for around 2-4 hours on Sunday, starting around noon US Eastern Time (GMT -4, 18:00 in most of Europe). Details
    Dismiss Notice

Beat / Hit

Discussion in 'English Only' started by OVagalume, Oct 6, 2010.

1. OVagalume Member

Vigo D.C. (Spain)
    Castellano
    Hi, I would like to know the differences (I'm not sure about the preposition) from/between the verb BEAT and HIT (if any). I think that beat has to do with a repetead action and hit with a single one.

I want to use the right verb in a context like:

"Don't beat/hit daddy or your brother, I will punish you".

Please correct me if you find any mistake. Thanks in advance.

2. Tazzler Senior Member

Maryland
    American English
    Well, in this case, "beat" to me implies repeated striking (abuse). I would use "hit" in this case. There is also the expression "beat up" which means "beat completely so that wounds and injuries result).

3. owlman5

owlman5 Senior Member

Colorado
    English-US
    I agree that to beat somebody you have to hit them more than once. That's probably the verb you want to specify that one person has struck another repeatedly.

However, people also use "hit" with the same meaning: He hits her. = He beats her.
    This use of "hit" is common. If I were you, I'd stick with "beat" to describe repeated blows. It's more precise.

4. OVagalume Member

Vigo D.C. (Spain)
    Castellano
    Thanks for your explanation about BEAT. However, if there is only a single action, will it be more suitable to use hit?

For instance.

Please, don't hit mum again or I'll punish you.

5. Tazzler Senior Member

Maryland
    American English
    You are correct.

6. owlman5

owlman5 Senior Member

Colorado
    English-US
    That's right. If you're only talking about a single blow, then "hit" works perfectly. You could also use synonyms such as "punch", "strike", or "slap" if you have a particular type of blow in mind:

Don't slap her again. (With an open hand)
    Don't punch her again. (With a closed fist)
    Don't hit/strike her again. (With a stick)

7. OVagalume Member

Vigo D.C. (Spain)
    Castellano
    Perfect, nice piece of info.

Thanks again :)