beat/strike

mimi2

vietnam vietnamese
Hi,
"Having been beaten by a police for striking an officer, the man will cry out in pain."
There are two actions "beat" and "strike" in this sentence.
Please tell me if there are different in meaning? Thanks.

• charisma_classic

English, U.S.A.
    In both cases they mean to hit someone. Beating usually means being hit repeatedly, though, while strike is more of a single hit.

The man hit a police officer so the policeman (or the police, plural, I cannot tell from your sentence which it is) hit him.

User1001

American English
    Hi,
    "Having been beaten by police for striking an officer, the man cried out in pain." There are two actions "beat" and "strike" in this sentence. Please tell me if there are different in meaning. Thanks.
    There really isn't that much of a difference, but perhaps one is evidant in the severity, i.e. one does more damage than another. I also changed "will cry" to "cried," because you wrote "Having been" at the beginning. That signifies that the action has already taken place, while "will cry" displays an action that will occur in the future.

mimi2

vietnam vietnamese
    Thank you.
    I can make a picture about "beat" and "strike" now.
    In this sentence the present participle is used. If I change it to a simpler sentence, is it like this:
    "Because the man was beaten by the police for striking an officer, he cried out in pain."
    Thanks.

< Previous | Next >