Beaten by the lousy blow

redgiant

Cantonese, Hong Kong
IT TURNED OUT that Frank Miller was no dummy. Mr. Bosu wasn't sure what he'd expected. Maybe someone smaller, more shrunken, more beaten by the lousy blow delivered to his family earlier in life. Someone more like his own dad.

Source: Alone, Lisa Garnder
Background: Mr Bosu, an ex-rapist, was hired as a killer to kill the father of his rape victim. He posed as a detective and wangled his way into Miller's house.

I'd like to know whether Miller was beaten physically or emotionally. I'd say it is about his physicality as the description preceded by it is his smaller, more shrunken appearance.

• redgiant

Cantonese, Hong Kong
    Thanks for pointing out this was emotional. I thought it was physically beaten because it reminded me of the phrase weather-beaten.

bicontinental

English (US), Danish, bilingual
    This is obviously open to interpretation, redgiant, but to me this refers to an 'emotional blow'...delivered to his [entire] family. The physical description of the character preceding this phrase or fragment could likewise be a reference to the physical effects of this emotional trauma (in my opinion)

Bic.

morzh

Banned
    USA
    Russian
    Thanks for pointing out this was emotional. I thought it was physically beaten because it reminded me of the phrase weather-beaten.
    Well, it is like, sometimes, you see people whom life did not treat well, and they literally shrunk - maybe due to stooping posture, thinner build, less hair....

< Previous | Next >