beaten earth

jacdac

Lebanese
What is the meaning of beaten earth in the following sentence :

Reacher kept his flashlight beam trained down about ten feet in front of him, a narrow bright oval dancing left and right a little and bouncing as he walked. The light showed him the ruts and the dips and the holes in the beaten earth.
Source: the hard way by lee child

Do you use beaten earth in daily speaking ?

Thank you

• Copyright

American English
    Beaten earth is earth that has been pounded down – it's hard, rather than soft.

We don't normally use "beaten earth" in daily speaking (as in "never") because it's the sort of thing you'd find in books.

The source, by the way, is The Hard Way by Lee Child. A little respect for authors and their works. :)

Last edited:

jacdac

Lebanese
    Thank you Copyright. I highly respect Lee Child. Actually I love his novels and I am fascinated with his way of writing and his genius way with words. I am busy reading the third of his novels in two weeks. I watched some of the interviews with him on youtube for inspiration. I do not use capital and italic as I am oblivious to the expectant 'writing manners' on this online forum and others. Apology if I offended you.

Copyright

American English
    We're not offended – it's just that capitalization is not only important, but it's easily figured out: all you have to do is look at the book to see which words to capitalize. Much of English language learning is simply copying, as in the case of sources.

I've read all the books, some of them twice. Some are better than others, of course, but they're all fairly entertaining – and enjoying yourself while you're learning is a great approach. I think Lee Child writes on a level that would benefit many mid-level and advanced English learners.

jacdac

Lebanese
    Thank you for your understanding Copyright. Your feedback is noted. <---->

<----> Out of scope questions removed. Cagey, moderator.

Last edited by a moderator:
    < Previous | Next >