beaten-up

navi

Banned
armenian
Are these sentences correct:

1-Both brothers looked like they had been beaten up, but the older brother seemed more beaten-up than the younger one.

2-Both brothers looked like they had been beaten up, but the older brother seemed more badly beaten-up than the younger one.

I am not sure the past participle of a phrasal verb could always work as an adjective. It seems to me that the sentences are OK but I am not sure.

• Packard

USA, English
    Once you have established that the "beaten" is a physical beating by writing "beaten-up" you do not need to repeat the "up" portion of the word.

Some of options:

Both brothers looked like they had been beaten up, but the older brother seemed to have taken a worse beating than the younger brother.

Both brothers looked like they had been beaten up, but the older brother seemed to have taken the brunt of the beating.

Both brothers looked like they had taken a beating. The older brother looked like he had gotten the worst [worse] of the beating.

(Note: worse/worst. If you are just understanding that you are comparing the condition of the two brother, then it would be "worse". If you understand it also considers the condition of the opponent(s), then "worst".)

< Previous | Next >