beaten with a baton (pronunciation)

jiamajia

Mandarin
He was beaten with a baton.

-----------------------------------

For the pronunciation of 'baton' here, is that quite common for people to pronounce it in French way with the stress on the second syllable or in English way as in Baton Rouge?

Thank you.

Last edited:
  • requiem0818

English
    in the US I pronounce it stressed on the second syllable. According to this dictionary either pronunciation is officially part of the English language.

thefreedictionary.com/baton
    (be-ton', bat'n)

JamesM

Like requiem0818, I would pronounce it with the stress on the second syllable. So I suppose your choice of pronunciation depends on whether you are speaking to a BE speaker or an AE speaker. :)

pob14

American English
    For me (US), the stress is definitely on the second syllable. Stress on the first syllable would make me think of the word "batten," as in "batten down the hatches."

Loob

English UK
    Like requiem0818, I would pronounce it with the stress on the second syllable. So I suppose your choice of pronunciation depends on whether you are speaking to a BE speaker or an AE speaker. :)
    Yes: this looks like a fairly regular BrE/AmE stress difference to me:).

natkretep

Moderato con anima (English Only)
    English (Singapore/UK), basic Chinese
    For me (US), the stress is definitely on the second syllable. Stress on the first syllable would make me think of the word "batten," as in "batten down the hatches."
    Although BAT-uhn is a possible BE pronunciation, I think it is more common to hear BAT-on (to rhyme with sat on), which couldn't be heard as batten! ;)

jiamajia

Mandarin
    Thank you all for the replies. I remember when I was on a trip to New Orleans years ago, people there would say 'Baton' in Baton Rouge stressing the first syllable like {'bat-tn}.

That said, I do believe people there have got different syllable stresses on local city names like Orleans (some also follow French way ignoring s sound) and Slidell.

Last edited:
    < Previous | Next >