Beati bellicosi

Wiganese

English
Good evening - I wondered if someone might be able to help me with some advice (fingers crossed!)

I have recently had a baby girl who has unfortunately had to overcome some adversity in her very short life. I was hoping to have a Latin phrase tattoo’d for her - something along the lines of ‘Beati Bellicosi; Nulla tenaci invia est via’ which I believe translates as ‘Blessed are the warriors; for the tenacious no road is impassable’

However, I would prefer to substitute ‘Bellicosi’ for ‘Bellator’, as I believe the meaning of the latter has the inference of an eagerness to fight, which I think is appropriate for her. Also, it would need to be the feminine version of the word, which I believe would be ‘Bellatore’?

ideally I would like the start of the phrase to read ‘Blessed be the warrior’ as opposed to ‘blessed are the warrior’ - which I believe the plural might be ‘Sit Benedictus, bellatorem’ - would someone be able to advise me what the correct writing would be of ‘Blessed be the warrior’ using the female version of Bellator for warrior if possible?

Any advice greatly appreciated - many thanks in advance!

• Sobakus

beati bellicosi means 'blessed are those who are warlike' and its source is 'the Mortal Instruments' fantasy book series - not the best source for correct Latin. The other phrase is a recent variation on Ovid's invia virtuti nulla est via meaning 'for courage/excellence/virtue etc, no road is impassable', and this variation is apparently best known as the motto of the Spyker automotive company. The translation you gave is correct.

'Blessed is the female warrior' (implying eagerness to fight) would indeed be beata bellatrix - if you want to make it the wishing 'be', put sit between the two words.

Scholiast

saluete omnes!

Wiganese, you have come to the right place. Both Agró and Sobakus are right, but allow me to intervene with a modest explanation.
    Latin proverbs and sayings are typically of epigrammatic brevity, like beata bellatrix. The motto of my alma mater is Dominus Illuminatio Mea, 'The Lord [is] my light': in such formulations the verb 'to be' is frequently omitted. Thus beata bellatrix can mean either 'The warrior [-princess] is blessed', or 'May she be blessed'. I commend this to you.
    But also, for a tattoo, could I suggest that you ask for Times Roman font, and (in the style of Roman inscriptions) in capitals:

BEATA BELLATRIX

Σ

Edited afterthought: thus (attachment):

Attachments

• BELLA.pdf
      10 KB · Views: 30
    Last edited:

Scholiast

saluete de nouo

I should perhaps have added that nulla tenaci invia est via is perfectly correct. But do you need to amplify the message thus? You after all, will always cherish the further meaning and nuances of the legend.

Σ

A User

Italiano
    Il verbo, sottinteso, lo interpreto al futuro.
    quod multo bellicosius erat (Liv.)/ ciò che era segno di molto più valore
    I (guerrieri) valorosi saranno, dopo la morte, nell’Elisio.