beautiful watery eye?

< Previous | Next >

longxianchen

chinese
Hi,
If a girl's big eyes are shiny and as clear as water(look damp and charming), how do we describe them? beautiful big watery eyes?
Thanks

• Thomas1

polszczyzna warszawska
    shiny
    sparkly

'watery', as well as 'damp', might be considered negative in tone.

sdgraham

USA English
    I prefer eyes with color, not clear. I think a person with "clear" eyes would look really strange.:D

"Watery eyes" sounds to me to be related to weeping, allergy or some other form of irritation.

From Medical News Today

Watering eye, also known as epiphora ortearing, is a condition in which there is an overflow of tears onto the face, often without a clear explanation. There is insufficient tear film drainage from the eye(s) - instead of all the tears draining through the nasolacrimal system, they overflow onto the face.​

longxianchen

chinese
    I prefer eyes with color, not clear. I think a person with "clear" eyes would look really strange.
    In China, people's eyes are all black.If a girl's eyes are wet ,bright and shiny, it's really charming, like clear water. In this case, how do we describe it?
    Thanks a lot.

longxianchen

chinese
    Because it's a common exression to compliment people's eyes( especially kids and beaties) in Chinese, as “水灵灵的”(something like "dewy")

sdgraham

USA English
    Because it's a common exression to compliment people's eyes( especially kids and beaties) in Chinese, as “水灵灵的”(something like "dewy")
    This is the English-ONLY language forum.

Whether something is common in Chinese is not relevant. We can neither be expected to know that and respond accordingly nor give a pound of puppy poo if we did.

If you are obsessed with "water," tell us plainly up front so we don't have to guess at where you're coming from.

0Lily0

Arabic
    Hi longxianhen,
    As you know that there is no equivalence between languages. If we imagine that there are a set of feelings people experience, each feeling will be expressed in a word in a language that is totally different from the one used in the other language. In English, watery is negative for eyes. I suggest as sdgraham said to use "shiny" or "sparkly" or "glittering". Also check "glistening eyes" in the link below but it usually has a negative meaning so check how to be able to use it in a positive tone if you can explain WELL how a certain feeling of tenderness or affection is shown in her eyes and make them glisten. You can perhaps use a simile saying that "her eyes glisten as a pure water stream full of tenderness" Check this reference for more details about describing eyes and about 'glisten': I can't post a link but you can google: How to Describe Eyes - Obsidian Bookshelf

Regards,
    Lily

velisarius

British English (Sussex)
    "Liquid eyes" are eyes that are clear and shining. Elizabeth Taylor's large, liquid eyes were said to be violet-coloured.

longxianchen

chinese
    "Liquid eyes" are eyes that are clear and shining. Elizabeth Taylor's large, liquid eyes were said to be violet-coloured.
    Yeah! I just found one meaning of "liquid" from a dictionary, it does include "clear and bright".Thank you so much!!

< Previous | Next >