beauty and the beast

< Previous | Next >

Gijoe

Korean
hi,

why is the word beauty in the title of the disney movie which is indicating the woman character named Bell without the?

Thank you.

• JamesM

"Beauty and the Beast" is the name of a traditional fairy tale. Why isn't it "The Beauty and the Beast"? I don't know. In French it is. In English it isn't. :) It has been known as "Beauty and the Beast" in English for at least 250 years, so the name remains.

Gijoe

Korean
    Thank you JamesM

So, normal conversations would usually require the like in the dialog below:

A: I saw a beauty living next door.
    B: yes, she moved in last month

And then the A and B saw her on the street next day, saying
    A: look, there goes the beauty.

Am I correct?

preppie

American English (Mostly MidAtlantic)
    You might think of the word "beauty" more like noun. We use the expression "Beauty is in the eye of the beholder." We don't say "the beauty". Belle would be beauty personified and thus a noun.

Myridon

English - US
    The title character's name, Belle, is French for Beauty so the English title can be read in two ways - the girl Beauty and the concept/ideal of Beauty. In most English language versions of the story, the character's name is actually given as Beauty not Belle. I think the Disney version (much more recent than my childhood) has made the Belle version popular.

< Previous | Next >