Beaver Cleaver

< Previous | Next >

pazuzu

Spanish
Hi... I need to know the meaning of "Beaver Cleaver" in spanish... I think one definition with the same context would be "Zorro Astuto".
What do you think?

• jinti

Beaver Cleaver was a character in a TV show set in the 1950s. He was a little boy named Theodore Cleaver, and his nickname was "the Beaver".

Because it's a proper name, I wouldn't translate it....

pazuzu

Spanish
    Hmmm... in fact I'm translating an interview from English (UK) to Spanish and there's a guy who was described as "Beaver Cleaver" :cool:. Giving the context of the interview I've assumed it's something like what appears in the link Doval gave...
    :rolleyes:

The problem is that I don't if it has to be translated how would it be in spanish, I think it must be a rude expression/slang.

:confused:

gdmarcus

English, USA
    A "beaver" is an animal, "castor".

"Beaver" can also be used as a slang term for "vulva" or "vagina"; therefore, according to the Urban Dictionary, a "beaver cleaver" can have slang meanings related to sex. If the guy in the interview is known for his sexual activities, perhaps this is the meaning you are looking for; an accurate translation of this meaning would be quite vulgar.

However, mainstream estadounidenses (of my generation, at least) think of an innocent, sweet boy growing up in a rural area of the USA when we hear "Beaver Cleaver"; he's a cultural icon. If the guy in the interview is sweet and comes from a warm family, this is probably the meaning you are looking for; if this is the case, I do not think you should translate it.

So I guess you must determine which meaning is appropriate based on the context.

fenixpollo

American English
    If there is a popular character in entertainment in the country of your target audience that is wholesome, sweet, honest and innocent, then you could substitute that person's name. If not, you can change Beaver Cleaver to a set of adjectives that your audience would understand, such as "un tipo inocente y puro"... or something like that.

Saludos.

Doval

USA English/British Caribbean
    With reference to the television character, this link ought to help clarify the significance of the character in US culture. Beaver Cleaver's family supposedly represented the "All-American Family," (meaning estadounidense, of course) with Beaver being a "typical" boy, i.e., somewhat mischievous but well-intentioned, etc. In other words, a "Beaver Cleaver" in this context would be an "All-American Boy," though in reality he may not be representative of a giant slice of the US population.

kotetsu

Peru - Spanish
    Hello. I happen to be watching right now the Ted Bundy Tapes, a TV program about an American serial killer. When a childhood friend describes his famliy, she says that "They couldn't have been more Beaver Cleaver", which is translated into Spanish for the show as "adorables".

Hope this may help.

The Newt

English - US
    A poet and songwriter named Mason Williams once wrote a piece entitled "Them Beaver Cleavers" that took the name literally (though not sexually):

How about Them Beaver Cleavers,
    Ain't they rank?
    Cleavin' them beavers
    Down on the bank.

Cleavin' they heads in,
    Cleavin' they spine,
    Clompin' them beavers,
    Ever one they find.

In this case the "beavers" are the semi-aquatic mammal.

gengo

American English
    Hello. I happen to be watching right now the Ted Bundy Tapes, a TV program about an American serial killer. When a childhood friend describes his famliy, she says that "They couldn't have been more Beaver Cleaver", which is translated into Spanish for the show as "adorables".

Hope this may help.
    That is not a good translation, in my opinion, because what the original meant was "unremarkable" or "normal." In other words, the childhood friend is saying that there was nothing about the Bundy family that would have raised a red flag.

< Previous | Next >