became too complex grammatically and syntactically for it to believe it was generating

Discussion in 'English Only' started by NewAmerica, Sep 10, 2016.

1. NewAmerica

NewAmerica Senior Member

Mandarin
    Does "it was generating" mean "the common body was producing (information)"?

Thanks in advance
    The non-speaking hemisphere has known the true state of affairs from a very tender age. It has known this because beginning at age two or three it heard speech emanating from the common body that, as language development on the left proceeded, became too complex grammatically and syntactically for it to believe it was generating; the same, of course, for what it observed the preferred hand writing down in school through the years.

-Sam Harris

2. london calling Senior Member

SALERNO, ITALY
    UK ENGLISH
    We need further background and context. Is this a sci-fi novel or something?

3. NewAmerica

NewAmerica Senior Member

Mandarin
    Harris'popular science work:
    Waking Up: A Guide to Spirituality Without Religion

He's talking about split brain based on Roger Perry's Nobel Prize-winning work.

4. NewAmerica

NewAmerica Senior Member

Mandarin
    A bit more context:
    The philosopher Roland Puccetti once observed that the existence of separate spheres of consciousness in the normal brain would explain one of the most perplexing features of split-brain research: Why is it that the right hemisphere is generally willing to bear silent witness to the errors and confabulations of the left? Could it be that the right hemisphere is used to it?
    An answer consistent with the hypothesis of mental duality in the normal human brain suggests itself. (The non-speaking hemisphere...)

(Forum rules only allow up to four lines. So you know...)

5. london calling Senior Member

SALERNO, ITALY
    UK ENGLISH
    Thanks for posting some more context. Having read it, I take the 'common body' to mean the body the two hemispheres share. The non-speaking hemisphere, at age two or three, hears the common body speaking (producing/generating language).

However, I think I would have to red the whole book to be sure.

6. Forero Senior Member

Houston, Texas, USA
    USA English
    All the its in this sentence refer to the non-speaking hemisphere.

The non-speaking hemisphere has known the true state of affairs from a very tender age. The non-speaking hemisphere has known this because beginning at age two or three the non-speaking hemisphere (has) heard speech emanating from the common body. As language development proceeded in the left, speaking hemisphere, the non-speaking hemisphere could not believe that the non-speaking hemisphere was generating such complex speech. Neither could the non-speaking hemisphere believe the non-speaking hemisphere was generating what the non-speaking hemisphere observed the preferred hand writing down in school through the years.

7. NewAmerica

NewAmerica Senior Member

Mandarin
    So the non-speaking hemisphere was also generating its linguistic ability, just like the left hemisphere did?

(I've read your reply twice and still felt a bit of dizziness... I think I have to read it more times later)

8. Forero Senior Member

Houston, Texas, USA
    USA English
    No. The non-speaking hemisphere was unable to believe the impossible. In other words, it knew it was not generating such complex speech.