because it is reasonably priced and you can eat well there

< Previous | Next >

Nightfire

Hello everyone.

I am trying to translate a sentence into German from English. I am referring to a restaurant which I like. In english the sentence consists of :

I like it very much because it is reasonably priced and you can eat well there.

My attempt - Es gefällt mir gut weil man hier preiswert und gut / günstig essen kann.

I am not sure whether to use "gut" or günstig near the end of the sentence. I think it should be "gut" because as far as I can tell, I think "preiswert" and "günstig" both have a similar meaning.

I would really appreciate any assistance.

Thank you.

Nightfire.

• ablativ

German(y)
    'preiswert' and 'günstig' do have a similar meaning. Therefore it would make more sense to say 'preiswert und gut' (or: 'günstig und gut').

I would drop the first "gut":

Das Restaurant gefällt mir, weil man hier preiswert und gut essen kann.

Liam Lew's

I would also drop the first "gut" and use "gut" instead of "preiswert", and your sentence would be fine. The thing about the first gut, is that the sentence just sounds better without it.

Edinburgher

German/English bilingual
    I agree that "gut" sounds weird in that position, but you can't just drop it, because then you would only be saying "I like it", not "I like it very much".
    The way to put it is "Es gefällt mir sehr, weil man ..."

Liam Lew's

I agree that "gut" sounds weird in that position, but you can't just drop it, because then you would only be saying "I like it", not "I like it very much".
    The way to put it is "Es gefällt mir sehr, weil man ..."
    That's a good approach to the original meaning. That's a better translation in my opinion. Germans use "es gefällt mir sehr" instead of "es gefällt mir gut" to express that we like something very much.

< Previous | Next >