because of advertisement...

hannibal25

algeria arabic
Hi everybody, and thanks a lot for being so helpful to us non native speakers of English.
In the following example:

"because of advertisement, people's eating habits have changed",

Is it correct to replace "because of" by "owing to" to express a cause. If not, I would be grateful if you could explain the difference to me.

Thanks for all.

• theangler

England, English
    Yes it is correct, using 'owing to' would be fine. I think it's better style than starting the sentence with 'because'.

Madrid829

US English, Great Lakes area
    'Owing to' is gramatically correct, and it is more formal, and I think it's probably more common in England than in the United States- I don't really hear that structure here except for the occasional formal writing piece. We would be more likely to say "due to the advertisement" or "as a result of the advertisement."

Madrid829

US English, Great Lakes area
    Thomas makes a good point- it's definitely more concise. Even if you are only talking about just one advertisement, being concise is always a good habit!

hannibal25

algeria arabic
    Thanks a lot Theangler and Thomas Tompion.

In fact,"advertisig has changed people's habit sounds much better. The fact is that I am supposed to teach my students to use "because of, owing to, as ..." to expresse causes and consequences.

Thomas Tompion

English - England
    Thanks a lot Theangler and Thomas Tompion.

In fact,"advertisig has changed people's habit sounds much better. The fact is that I am supposed to teach my students to use "because of, owing to, as ..." to expresse causes and consequences.
    Then you should know that a lot of people in BE regard the adverbial use of due to as incorrect. Use because or owing to if you want an adverb.

hannibal25

algeria arabic
    Then you should know that a lot of people in BE regard the adverbial use of due to as incorrect. Use because or owing to if you want an adverb.
    The problem is that the books we are using fail to mention these subtilities of the English language. That's why your help is always welcome.

Thanks a lot.

< Previous | Next >