because of me/on my behalf

jokker

Chinese/Taiwan
1) Please don't leave on my behalf.
2) Please don't leave because of me.

Could you please tell me what's the difference between 1 and 2 ? Thank you.

• Chaska Ñawi

Canadian English
    Please don't leave on my behalf.

This implies that the person is leaving to do something for you, such as an errand. You would not hear or read a sentence like this very often in English.

Please don't leave because of me.

This implies that the person is leaving solely because you have arrived, for whatever reason.

jokker

Chinese/Taiwan
    Chaska Ñawi said:
    Please don't leave on my behalf.

This implies that the person is leaving to do something for you, such as an errand. You would not hear or read a sentence like this very often in English.
    I see...:)
    Please don't leave because of me.

This implies that the person is leaving solely because you have arrived, for whatever reason.
    Thank you very much, Chaska N(~can't make this on the top of N)awi.:)

maxiogee

Banned
    English
    Please don't leave on my behalf - might also be interpreted as "Person NN has offended me. I shall leave. I do not require you to leave also."

cuchuflete

EEUU-inglés
    In my limited experience, Maxi is correct.

Example scene.

A enters a room. B immediately stands up and says, "Well, I think I'll be on my way now." A states, "Oh, please don't leave on my behalf."

The sub-text is that A assumes, correctly or otherwise, that B's announced departure results from A's own arrival.

cuchuflete

EEUU-inglés
    panjandrum said:
    We are into very occasional usage now, but I think I would expect:
    Please don't leave on my account
    ... or is that the same thing?
    On my account would be the most common in AE. They all carry roughly the same meaning.

mstewie08

America
    "Because of me" is what one would say if the person existing at that location was the problem.

"On my behalf" could be interpreted as "because I am making you" or "because I am at fault"

maxiogee

Banned
    English
    cuchu misreads me.

I was assuming that at least three people are present when NN insults person A.

A says: "I didn't come here to be insulted, I'm leaving."
    B says: "Oh, I was looking forward to seeing NN's holiday photographs, but I'll leave too."
    A says: "Please don't leave on my behalf."

I think panj is right and "account" would be more usual (or would be if I moved in circles where insults are given and slights are taken with regularity), but I was trying to convey the idea of B taking offence on A's behalf.

jokker

Chinese/Taiwan
    Thank you all very much for your explanations and opinions!:)

maxiogee said:
    A says: "I didn't come here to be insulted, I'm leaving."
    B says: "Oh, I was looking forward to seeing NN's holiday photographs, but I'll leave too."
    A says: "Please don't leave on my behalf."
    Vivid image. I can have a picture in my head.:)

I think panj is right and "account" would be more usual (or would be if I moved in circles where insults are given and slights are taken with regularity), but I was trying to convey the idea of B taking offence on A's behalf.
    Such circles where insults are given and slights are taken with regularity are unhealthy. I guess it's better for one to leave such a group of people. It's miserable for a child to grow up in such environments...

< Previous | Next >