Because of/owing to/on account of/due to/because ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

LukaF15

Italian-Italy
I was doing my homework but I'm stuck at this exercise.
The instructions say: Complete these sencences:

“Don’t be fool; the dog’s dancing was … the extremely hot pavement.” (for me it's due to)
“I came home earlier yesterday … I was too tired.” (for me it's because)
“It can’t be played ... infringements.” (for me it's because of)
"Royal Jelly is used … its natural healing properties". (for me it's because of)
“ … all of this, their freezer would be filled with ice cream and joy for years!” (for me it's because of)

“… the storm, this Easter we won’t have our picnic.” (for me it's because of)
“The damage was … the lack of motor oil.” (for me it's due to)
“Dialects in Italy vary …few kilometres of distance.”
“It seems they lost the match … the quarterback’s illness.” (for me it's because of)
“We can’t buy any ticket now … they’re sold out.” (for me it's because)
“I didn’t buy the eggs … you forgot to write it on the list!” (for me it's because)
“I’m not going on holydays … incoming taxes to pay.” (for me it's because of)
“We didn’t go out … the strike.” (for me it's because of)
“If I am still alive that is … him.” (for me it's because of)
“…. the bad weather, they can’t deliver until Monday! ” (for me it's because of)

The options are:
due to/on account of/because of/because/owing to.

I knew that "due to" as an adjective is mainly used after the verb "be" in sentences like "The cancellation of the concert was due to a heavy thunderstorm" whereas the others are prepositional phrases so the same sentence would be "The concert was cancelled owing to/on account of/because of a heavy thunderstorm".

But I'm a bit confused which one should I pick? Am I wrong about their usages?
Thanks in advance

Last edited:
  • The Newt

English - US
    In my opinion "due to/on account of/because of/owing to" can all be correctly used in that sentence. Only "because" (by itself) doesn't work.

LukaF15

Italian-Italy
    In my opinion "due to/on account of/because of/owing to" can all be correctly used in that sentence. Only "because" (by itself) doesn't work.
    Ok but they want me to pick just one. But from the theory I can't tell which one.

SwissPete

Français (CH), AE (California)
    I agree with The Newt. If push comes to shove, I would pick because of.

PS: This is a good example of a bad test.

heski3

French
    I would choose 'because of' its natural properties.
    I've been confused myself for many years with this expression because in French (my native language) we use 'thanks to' when it's positive and 'because of' when it has a negative sense, but I learned that in English the language subtlety isn't marked. It's 'because of' in any case.
    I will let the English experts correct me if I am wrong :)

LukaF15

Italian-Italy
    I would choose 'because of' its natural properties.
    I've been confused myself for many years with this expression because in French (my native language) we use 'thanks to' when it's positive and 'because of' when it has a negative sense, but I learned that in English the language subtlety isn't marked. It's 'because of' in any case.
    I will let the English experts correct me if I am wrong :)
    Thanks for answering but how about their usages?

heski3

French
    It's a tough exercise you've got here because as "the Newt" mentioned, all the propositions could be used correctly except 'because' by itself. So, to be safe I would still pick 'because of' and definitely 'due to' all this.... for the second part, because it sounds the more natural to read or hear. Please let us know the "academic correction" you will get!

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    < Previous | Next >