'Because of pleading in vain ....' vs 'Having pleaded in vain ....'

clovisape

Chinese
Hi Guys:
The sentence goes like this:

"Because of pleading in vain for improved maintenance services, the tenants refused to pay rent until the landlord agreed to make the much-needed repairs."

My literature teacher suggest that the sentence above should be modified like this one :

"Having pleaded in vain for improved maintenance services, the tenants refused to pay rent until the landlord agreed to make the much-needed repairs."

But the two sentences seem both right for me.
what about your opinion?

• pops91710

English, AE
    Your teacher is correct. But I would write it differently. I would have said:After pleading in vain for improved maintenance services, the tenants refused to pay rent until the landlord agreed to make the much-needed repairs."

clovisape

Chinese
    Your teacher is correct. But I would write it differently. I would have said:After pleading in vain for improved maintenance services, the tenants refused to pay rent until the landlord agreed to make the much-needed repairs."
    Thanks !
    I know my teacher is definitely right, but I also want the reasons why I can't write like the first one.

Forero

Welcome to the forum, Clovisape.

In the teacher's version, the tenants first pleaded and then refused.

The tenants' refusal is not because of anyone's pleading, is it?

Do you mean "Because the landlord (had) ignored the tenants' pleas for improved maintenance services, the tenants refused ..."?

clovisape

Chinese
    Welcome to the forum, Clovisape.

In the teacher's version, the tenants first pleaded and then refused.

The tenants' refusal is not because of anyone's pleading, is it?

Do you mean "Because the landlord (had) ignored the tenants' pleas for improved maintenance services, the tenants refused ..."?
    Yes, in my opinion the first sentence is just as same as the one you give.

Forero

Hi, Clovisape.

I see that you mean "because of the vanity of their pleas", not "because of pleading in vain". You do not mean the tenants' pleading caused them to refuse.

Do you see why this is a problem in the first sentence?

Another problem with "because of pleading ..." is that "because of" is a preposition, which means "pleading" is a gerund, not a participle. In other words the "because" phrase, unlike the teacher's participial phrase, does not modify "tenants" and we have to guess whose pleading is being mentioned.

Does that make sense?

< Previous | Next >