because

< Previous | Next >

navi

Banned
armenian
Which is correct:

1-Just because I help her from time to time does not mean I am attracted to her.

2-I am not attracted to her just because I help her from time to time.

I think 1 is used in everyday speech. I don't think it could be used in formal speech though. I am not sure whether 2 is wrong or formal!

• nzfauna

New Zealand, English
    1 is correct for everyday language.

2 doesn't sound right - it seems the wrong way around.

If you wanted a more formal way to say 1, perhaps:

My inclination to aid Miss Smith on occasion should not be misconstrued as any form of attraction toward her on my part.

Cagey

post mod (English Only / Latin)
    English - US
    Sentence #2 doesn't mean what you want it to mean. It suggests that the result of your helping her from time to time is that you are not attracted to her. You cannot leave out "does not mean" and have the sentence say what it would if it were there.

As nzfauna's suggestion indicates, you need to include some reference to the idea that you are denying a possible interpretation of your helping her.

Forero

We often hear "sentences" like 1 in everyday speech, but it is hard to make real sense out of such a construction. Structurally it appears to be a sentence fragment.

Nevertheless such a "statement" is useful to the speaker because it sounds tautologous and anyone wanting to deny it has the burden of reworking it first.

I suspect this construction is ambiguous if it means anything at all, but I take it to mean something like:

It is not true just because I help her from time to time that I am attracted to her.
    It does not necessarily follow just because I help her from time to time that I am
    (or might be) attracted to her.
    The mere fact that I may help her from time to time does not mean/imply I am attracted to her.
    My helping her from time to time does not by itself imply I am attracted to her.

Sentence 2 is a good attempt at saying something similar, but unfortunately it has other, more likely, meanings.

< Previous | Next >