Become a cheerleader for those you love <as, while> they move through life

Look for ways to come alongside those in your life and declare them in what they are doing. Become a cheerleader for those you love ____ they move through life streching to meet new opportunities.
A. as
B. while

the answer is A.

Could B. be possible?
What's the meaning of declare here? What are the altenatives of it?

Thank you in advance.

• Thomas Tompion

English - England
    I think while would be a little strange as there aren't moments when one is alive and not 'moving through life'. To my ear, as has the force of in the course of, while while means during a particular time.

I've no idea what declare might mean here. It seems to me a very strange use of the word, ofd.

Blues Piano Man

USA English
    Thank you ,Thomas Tompion.
    Would you please spare me a few seconds and give a possible word to replace it (declare)?

praise them? or something else?
    The next sentence asks you to "become a cheerleader." If the first
    sentence is intended to convey a similar meaning, you might use "encourage."

Keep in mind, though, that changing the word can, and probably will, change the meaning of the sentence. So it's important to know what you want the sentence to mean.

Blues :)

mjscott

American English
    Look for ways to come alongside those in your life and declare them in what they are doing. Become a cheerleader for those you love ____ they move through life streching to meet new opportunities.
    A. as
    B. while

the answer is A.

Could B. be possible?
    What's the meaning of declare here? What are the altenatives of it?

Thank you in advance.
    My first thoughts of declare them in what they are doing made me think that you declare what they are. If someone does something special, you you declare how they are that someone special and unique that can only be the one who placed their thumbprint on what was created. An example would be someone who has created a work of art out of something. Declaring them in what they are doing might be to say, "You are an artist!"

Many people struggle to be who they are and put their thumbprint in life. It is rare when someone actually declares them in what they are doing--telling them the unique value that they have being who they are and doing what they do.

< Previous | Next >