become imbued with <our essence>

< Previous | Next >

NewAmerica

Banned
Mandarin
What does our essence mean? Does it mean "our spiritual energy"? It sounds elusive to me.

For instance, George Washington's bible, according to this author, would be imbued with his essence. You touch this bible, you touch the essence of Washington (supposed that Wahsington lived yesterday). But what is "the essence"? Spirit is more elusive, I am sorry.

Consciously or not, many of us feel that our possessions are part of our extended self. A deeper, even less conscious belief is that through physical contact, our things actually become imbued with our essence.

Source: Scientific American
Author: Francine Russo is a veteran journalist, specializing in psychology
and behavior. She is also a speaker and author of They’re Your
Parents, Too! How Siblings Can Survive Their Parents’ Aging Without
Driving Each Other Crazy (Bantam, 2010).

• suzi br

English / England
    What’s not clear in our dictionary definition:
    the basic, unchanging nature of a thing;
    the substance that gives something identity:

NewAmerica

Banned
    Mandarin
    the substance that gives something identity:
    Well, your refrigerator is your possession. What substance would you imbue it? Your use of it wears it off and finally you decide to throw it away when it works no more. Do you re-extract your essense from the fridge?

Still confused. But thank you of course.

suzi br

English / England
    Well, your refrigerator is your possession. What substance would you imbue it? Your use of it wears it off and finally you decide to throw it away when it works no more. Do you re-extract your essense from the fridge?

Still confused. But thank you of course.
    What's a fridge got to do with it?

suzi br

English / England
    I don't know who imbues their essence into a fridge, it sounds pretty ludicrous to me. In your OP you mention a Bible. A very intimate item. I'd say you could imbue your essence into things like that, or one's art choices or one's clothes: things which are much more personal items. There's a circularity in the choice of clothes etc because you choose such things to suit yourself and your own personality etc.

You're confusing me with fridge talk.

suzi br

English / England
    In any case it's just an idea. This woman thinks this. You are at liberty to not agree with her and think her idea is tosh. There certainly isn't much evidence of "essence" having a phyisical entitiy. It's more a matter of opinion and senses that are more subtle than the 5 obvious ones we all share.

suzi br

English / England
    Mine isn’t. It’s just a fridge!
    I can’t accept the woman’s concept applies to such mundane items. But that’s about a “belief system” not language.

suzi br

English / England
    It’s up to you.

The author has expressed a point of view.

You might agree with it, you might not. It’s a matter of opinion rather than fact.

< Previous | Next >