become + participle?

< Previous | Next >

stevesjlee

Korean
After the verb "become" a complement can be placed.
For the complement, both a noun and an adjective can be used, right?
What about participle (both past and present)?
Can a participle be used as a complement of "become"?
I learned that a participle is acting just like an adjective, so I assume "become" can take a participle as its complement...
Some verbs have thier adjective forms same as their participle forms. In this case, I'm sure that there is no problem with using them since they're officially adjectives.
I'm curious about the cases where verbs' adjective forms are not the same as their participle forms.

As for the particple, some verbs have noun forms same as their participle forms. In this case, do these kind of verbs can't have parcitiples?
For example, "their relationship became strengthening".
(I assumed that a participle can be used after became....)
The participle form of the verb "strengthen" would be strengthening. But there is already a noun for strengthening.
In this case, strengthen can't have its present participle form of strengthening???
How do you know whether ~ing (or ~ed) is a participle or a noun when the verb has the same form for both.

Similiar question is for the verbs like "stand, stay..".
"Stand" takes an adjective desribing the subject condition or status. For example, "They stood quiet (still, etc.)"
Can a participle be used after "stand" just like the adjectives?

• Pertinax

BrE->AuE
    I do not understand all of your questions, but here are some examples which I think cover most of what you are asking.

become + noun/adjective:
    He became president (noun).
    He became angry (adjective).

become + present/past participle:
    The work became tiring.
    He became tired.

become + a participle that can also serve as a gerund:
    The pain became annoying. ("annoying" as complement)
    Annoying your wife is foolhardy. ("annoying" as a gerund, or verbal noun)

stand/stay + present/past participle:
    He stood waiting.
    It stayed broken.

stevesjlee

Korean
    Thank you.
    I guess I tried to ask too many questions.... lol
    So you're saying a participle (either presnet or past) can be used as a complement for "become", right?

"Their relationship became strong...."
    I want to use strengthening instead of strong.
    "Their relationship became strengthening." Is this right?
    Strengthening can be considered as a present participle form of the verb strengthen. However, there already exists a word as a noun "strendthening" (meaning some kind of structural reinforcement), right?
    In that case, we can't use strengthening as a participle?

For some verbs, there exit adjectives of them same spellings as their participle forms. For such words, can we still use their participle forms?
    Maybe I used a bad example with strengthening... (although strengthened sounds more right to me...)

Pertinax

BrE->AuE
    A relationship can become strong, but it cannot become "strengthening". The fact that there is a noun "strengthening" is irrelevant. A relationship can, however, become "strengthened" by factors such as an improvement in the way the parties communicate.

< Previous | Next >