become <the> "national sport" of Italian motorists

Gabriele8512

Italian - Italy
Hi everyone!

Could anyone tell me if the following phrase is grammatically correct or incorrect and why?

The phrase is the following: "Avoiding puddles along the Italian roads has become the "national sport" of Italian motorists" (Sadly true!!! :( )

Thanks everybody

G.

Last edited:
  • themadprogramer

Turkish, English
    I'd say it's fine.

Not using "the" would sound a bit off. However you could call it ' a "national sport" ' instead.
    Prefering "the" over "a" makes it sound as if this is the most prominent of your national sports. Yet it doesn't make much of a difference.

As to why you should use one of the two I'd say it's because nouns generally like taking articles before words like of.

"It has become expected of Italian motorists to do so."
    Here with an adjective this really isn't much of a problem.

Note however that the "The" in "The Man of Steel" (a name of a movie) serves a slightly different purpose. As such you may drop it and write "Man of Steel" instead.
    So long as you don't use it as an object. "He is man of steel" would most definitely be considered incorrect. "He is a/the man of steel" would give us the distinction from earlier. Use "a" to indicate a member (of men not of men of steel) and "the" to emphasise role (you're emphasising how he's a man of steel not how he's a man)

I hope that was clear enough :D

Last edited:

Englishmypassion

India - Hindi
    Using "the" is fine, since a country usually has only one national sport and that's the intended meaning, sarcastically.

But I'd suggest starting a new thread to ask whether "along" works in that context.

Last edited:
    < Previous | Next >