Becoming a Pole? Turning Pole?

< Previous | Next >

jhrecife

Brazilian Portuguese
Hi there,

I'm a Brazilian currently living in Poland and I'm thinking of starting writing a blog about my experiences here. I would like to do that in English so that it has a broader audience.

I would like to title the blog something like "Becoming a Pole" or "Turning Pole", but I'm not sure which of these sounds better.

I also have the impression that "Turning Pole" is a bit ambiguous (might refer to the (south/north) pole somehow, or other kind of pole).

Any ideas/suggestions?

• entangledbank

English - South-East England
    'Becoming'. There is an antiquated expression 'turn Turk' meaning "convert to Islam", but it's not suitable in Present-day English. There was a pop song 'Turning Japanese', but that's like a linguistic joke, as if you might turn Japanese the way you turn blue with cold. 'Turning into a Pole' is possible, but it rather gives the impression that it's a process that just happens naturally if you stay there long enough. 'Becoming' is neutral.

Ann O'Rack

UK
    UK English
    For a bit of humour, could you use the play on the word "pole" and talk about "pole-dancing"? Or the different meanings and pronunciation of "polish" (the stuff to make your furniture shine) and "Polish" the nationality - "Polish polish"?

cuchuflete

EEUU-inglés
    Oh. Prof. O'R has inspired me. This may be a Very Bad Thing.

Polishing a Brazilian

If you want it to be a bit more 'exotic' for English speakers,

Polishing a Brasileiro

Até

Ann O'Rack

UK
    UK English
    Cuchie, you are VERY naughty (but thinking along exactly the lines I was thinking...) I can't help thinking that the first suggestion might be a bit painful though!

< Previous | Next >