bedouin Lebanese dialects

Discussion in 'العربية (Arabic)' started by Hemza, Jul 14, 2017.

1. Hemza

Hemza Senior Member

Paris, France
    French, Mor/Hijz Arabic (heritage)
    Hello,

I would like to know what look like bedouin Lebanese dialects. Are they more or less similar to the ones spoken in Eastern Syria or wherever else there are bedouins in Syria? or closer to other Lebanese dialects? Are there features (except the specific pronunciation of the ق and the accent I guess) which distinguish them from other Lebanese dialects?

Thank you.

2. Mahaodeh Senior Member

Arabic and English
    Are there any Bedouins in Lebanon? I didn't know there was because there isn't any desert in Lebanon. If there is no desert, there are no Bedouins. If there are no Bedouins, there is no Bedouin dialect, or am I mistaken?

3. analeeh Senior Member

English - UK
    As far as I'm aware, there are a small number of Palestinian Bedouin refugees in Lebanon. Otherwise there aren't any.

4. Hemza

Hemza Senior Member

Paris, France
    French, Mor/Hijz Arabic (heritage)
    Are you both sure? I think there are some rocky areas and bedouins also live in rocky areas (which are desert as well), not only sand deserts.

And no, I'm not talking about Palestinians living in Lebanon.

5. WannaBFluent

WannaBFluent Senior Member

Français
    There are 47'000 bedouins in Lebanon according to Wikipedia. And there are not only refugees from the recent Syrian war.

In the 'Historical Dictionary of the Bedouins' it is said that some bedouin tribes in Lebanon helped for the independance of the state against the Turkish army and the French mandate.

Sabri Hamadeh, a speaker in the Lebanese Parliament (1943-1950) was a bedouin from the Hamadeh tribe.

They are also many other tribes. And reports say that there were bedouins in Lebanon since the 13th century at least.

For the language, I guess it's close to the Syrian bedouin dialect as the Lebanese bedouins live around the border and are mostly from tribes that also exist in Syria.

6. Zoghbi Senior Member

arabic (Algeria)
    You can look at Igor Younes's works on bedouin lebanese dialects: here and here.