beef-and-thunder

• envie de voyager

english-canadian
    Welcome to the forum, kaitian.

I have not heard that before. Without context, we can only guess at the intended meaning. We might be able to help you if you gave us some context; where did you read it, who was saying it, etcetera. The sentences containing these words would help us to help you.

kaitian

italian
    thank you for replying,

I'm translating a book by Australian writer Normal Lindsay, "The Magic Pudding". The quote is referred to a sailor called Bill who is about to sing, it goes like this: "And without more ado, Bill, who had one of those beef-and-thunder voices, roared out - "...(and the song starts)"
    hope this might help
    thanks again

kaitian

Fabulist

Banned
    American English
    Maybe it's just very loud and deep. "Beef," besides being a word for meat from dead cattle, can refer to the live cattle themselves (plural "beeves"), particularly those being raised for slaughter. A whole herd of beef cattle on the move can be noisy, and if they stampede, their hooves will make a deep sound commonly likened to thunder.

Still, it seems to be an fairly original image.

Cagey

post mod (English Only / Latin)
    English - US
    Apparently, the memorable description of a voice originated with Max Beerbohm. Google Books won't give me more than a snippet view, but here it is:
    With his fat, confidential manner, [Herbert Campbell] had always seemed to Max Beerbohm "the offspring of some mystic union between beef and thunder." Among his best-known songs were At My Time o' Life and They're All Very Fine and Large. .....
    They were singing: and what they sang about (Christopher Pulling - 1952)​

kaitian

italian
    thanks everybody for suggestions. I kind of guessed the meaning, but it's quite a peculiar expression even for English natives so i think i'll just translate it literally.

thanks again!

< Previous | Next >