Beehive vs wild beehive

< Previous | Next >

Niko Bellic

Polish - Poland
Hello, everyone.
Could you tell me what is the difference between "beehive" and a "wild beehive"? I need a word that describes a hole in a tree made by HUMANS in order to keep bees but all my dictionaries propose "wild beehive" which doesn't sound artificial at all.
Thanks in advance.

• Loob

English UK
    Interesting, Niko Bellic! I found this article by the Natural Beekeeping Trust: Tree Beekeeping.

It uses the term "tree hive": perhaps that would suit?

You little ripper!

Australian English
    Wikipedia gives the terminology for both:

Though the word beehive is commonly used to describe the nest of any bee colony, scientific and professional literature distinguishes nest from hive. Nest is used to discuss colonies which house themselves in natural or artificial cavities or are hanging and exposed. Hive is used to describe an artificial structure to house a honey bee nest.

Last edited:

panjandrum

Lapsed Moderator
    English-Ireland (top end)
    re
    Wikipedia gives the terminology for both:

Though the word beehive is commonly used to describe the nest of any bee colony, scientific and professional literature distinguishes nest from hive. Nest is used to discuss colonies which house themselves in natural or artificial cavities or are hanging and exposed. Hive is used to describe an artificial structure to house a honey bee nest.
    I hadn't thought about this before, but sure enough, I would not refer to a bee residence as a hive unless it was a human construction of some kind. Bee-made bee homes are nests.
    So the term "wild beehive" is something of a contradiction.
    "Tree hive" sounds like a good option, clearly conveying that this is human-made and in a tree.

< Previous | Next >