beekeeping type

< Previous | Next >

mia0815

Taiwanese
When we started at Rocklands High, a psychiatrist put Ossie on a variety of helpful, beekeeping-type medications, yellow and root-beer brown tablets that were supposed to thin the ghostly voices in her head to a pleasant drone.

Swamplandia! (a novel)

What does 'beekeeping-type' in the above passage mean?
What does it say about the medications?

Please help. Thank you.

• suzi br

English / England
    Hiya

We have had so many questions about this strangely written book that I feel as though we must have glossed most of it by now!

As for this example --- My guess is that this is some witticism based on the colour of the tablets (yellow and brown as bees are) and the noises droning (like bees?) in the patient's head. This writer has a habit of using words in unusual, some might say WRONG, ways!

I doubt that it has anything literal to do with the practise of keeping bees (in hives to gather their honey) but it could do. Perhaps someone who has read the book will buzz in and offer an alternative view.

mia0815

Taiwanese
    Oh, does it simply refer to the colors of the tablets? Why not beelike but beekeeping-type?
    :confused: Thank you. I'm now nearly at the end of the book. :D

morior_invictus

Slovak
    Hi mia,
    it probably refers not only to the color of that tablets, but also to the type of voices (buzzing voices) they should stop.
    As for this example --- My guess is that this is some witticism based on the colour of the tablets (yellow and brown as bees are) and the noises droning (like bees?) in the patient's head. This writer has a habit of using words in unusual, some might say WRONG, ways!
    I absolutely agree with suzi br. I think it`s just used in this book because I have never heard this term.

mia0815

Taiwanese
    You are right. But I think I do need to work more on my English as so to be able to enjoy imagining along with the author or other literary authors...

How nice to have you members to help with the questions. I'm really grateful.

AutumnOwl

-
    Swedish
    Beekeeping is also said to be mentally relaxing, as you have to do things calmly around bees, unless you want to get a sting. 0

Loob

English UK
    My reaction was the same as sdg's: natural medications as advocated by those who keep bees or (more probably) natural medications as advocated by those who keep bees and swear that bee-honey is a universal panacea.

< Previous | Next >