beer holder

< Previous | Next >

Masha*

Russia: Russian
I'm Googling "beer holder" and still fail to understand if it is a beer bucket or just a tankard. :confused: What is it actually?

Your help will be appreciated

• sdgraham

USA English
    There's something of a cultural issue here in that in the U.S., beer is commonly drunk quite cold and directly from cans and bottles, rather than poured into a glass. Thus we have the beer holders, some of which are designed to be held in the hand and others attached to boats, golf carts, riding lawn mowers, etc.

My British friends consider American beer drinkers to be unwashed barbarians in this regard.

Masha*

Russia: Russian
    Hi there

I couldn't possibly comment on that, sdgraham!;)

Masha, can you give us any context, please?
    Here you are (it's a humorous text):

"Keg Stand
    College Definition: The act of holding a frat boy upside down so he can drink nasty beer straight out of the barrel.
    Real-World Definition: A beautiful varnished wooden beer holder the rich yuppie forty-something has in his basement."

By the way, what is "basement" here?

gasman

Canada, English
    "'Basement' is the American English word for 'cellar'."

I don't think I agree. A cellar gives the impression of bare walls, possibly dripping with moisture, whereas the "basement" is frequently as well finished, and furnished, as the rest of the house. It just happens to be the lowermost part of the building usually partly, at least, below ground level.

< Previous | Next >