before I <would> put in the butter

< Previous | Next >

ans7

Vietnamese
Which is more grammatically correct?
>What would you do if you were to make a sandwich now.
>I would slice the bread first before i (put/would put) in the butter.
We use would to talk about something that’s unreal. Since putting in butter is an unreal situation at the present shouldn’t we use (would put)?

• Chez

English English
    You need 'put' on its own in your reply.

You put butter 'on' bread (not 'in' – even though it ends up 'in' the sandwich)

ans7

Vietnamese
    You need 'put' on its own in your reply.

You put butter 'on' bread (not 'in' – even though it ends up 'in' the sandwich)
    could you explain why [would put] isn’t correct? it’s an unreal situation therefore shouldn’t it require a “would” in the sentence?

e2efour

UK English
    We don't use would after before in such sentences. You may describe the situation as "unreal", but this applies to conditional sentences.

So we would say I would slice the bread first before putting/I put the butter on.

I don't think you will get an explanation for why we don't say before I would put ... other than it doesn't sound natural.

ans7

Vietnamese
    We don't use would after before in such sentences. You may describe the situation as "unreal", but this applies to conditional sentences.

So we would say I would slice the bread first before putting/I put the butter on.

I don't think you will get an explanation for why we don't say before I would put ... other than it doesn't sound natural.
    making it sound natural is easy
    i’m just here asking if it’s grammatically, logically correct

Chez

English English
    You used would at the beginning of the sentence. What follows is a list of things you did. It is repetitive and unnecessary to put 'would' before each subsequent verb.

I would cut the bread, before I put on the butter, added ham and spread it with mayonnaise.

< Previous | Next >