before my company will develop patentable technology

< Previous | Next >

thetazuo

Chinese - China
It will most likely take roughly 3-4 years before my company will develop patentable technology.

Hi. This sentence is written in a personal statement by someone who is going to migrate to America. I wonder why we can use future tense in the before clause? I would expect “... before my company develops patentable technology” because I was taught we shouldn’t use future tense after “before”. I know this has been discussed several times before. And I have read some threads on this topic; some say when “will” is used in the before clause, it express willingness; while some think otherwise. The more I read them the more I get confused.
Could you help me out?

Thank you.

• lingobingo

English - England
    Agreed. But also, the word “take” is misused in that sentence. An action takes a certain length of time. Here, the suggestion is that not doing something takes a certain length of time!

It will most likely take roughly 3-4 years before my company will develop patentable technology. :thumbsdown::thumbsdown:
    It will most likely be roughly 3-4 years before my company will develop patentable technology. :thumbsdown:
    It will most likely be roughly 3-4 years before my company develops patentable technology. :thumbsup:
    It will most likely take roughly 3-4 years for my company to develop patentable technology. :thumbsup::thumbsup:

thetazuo

Chinese - China
    Thank you, FF and LB. Though I don’t know why phrases such as “be able to”, “have the capacity to”, etc have the magic to make the use of “will” in the before clause acceptable.:rolleyes:

< Previous | Next >