Before or after you gave me the homework?

< Previous | Next >

Lillita

Hungarian
Hey everyone!

I would like to ask for your help with a translation. The context is the following: my teacher sent me a very difficult homework and in the same e-mail she asked me how my day has been. I would like to let her know in a joking way that this time she really passed the line with the homework and it exceeded my capacities as long as Turkish is concerned. So, I thought to answer her question whether my day has been nice as follows:

"Before or after you gave me the homework?"

And my shy try of translation:

"Bana bu ödevi vermediğinden önce veya sonra?"

Thank you very much in advance for your help!
Çok tesekkür ederim!

• murattug

Turkish
    Hey everyone!

I would like to ask for your help with a translation. The context is the following: my teacher sent me a very difficult homework and in the same e-mail she asked me how my day has been. I would like to let her know in a joking way that this time she really passed the line with the homework and it exceeded my capacities as long as Turkish is concerned. So, I thought to answer her question whether my day has been nice as follows:
    "Before or after you gave me the homework?"

And my shy try of translation:
    "Bana bu ödevi vermediğinden önce veya sonra?"

Thank you very much in advance for your help!
    Çok tesekkür ederim!
    why you use negative form? I mean "you gave me something" = " bana bir şey verdin" not "vermedin"

Rallino

Moderatoúrkos
    Turkish
    why you use negative form? I mean "you gave me something" = " bana bir şey verdin" not "vermedin"
    Because the original sentence has before in it.
    Before you gave me something - Sen bana bir şey vermeden önce.

I would translate "Before or after you gave me the homework?" as Bana bu ödevi vermeden önce mi sonra mı?

murattug

Turkish
    Because the original sentence has before in it.
    Before you gave me something - Sen bana bir şey vermeden önce.

I would translate "Before or after you gave me the homework?" as Bana bu ödevi vermeden önce mi sonra mı?
    Bana bu ödevi vermenden önce mi yoksa sonra mı?

Black4blue

Turkish/Türkçe
    Well, I realize that I use a wrong usage. :)
    Because I usually say it this way: Bana bu ödevi verdikten önce mi sonra mı?
    I know "önce" is used with "-meden/-madan" but... we all understand it, don't we? :D

< Previous | Next >