before the second cup of coffee

< Previous | Next >

temple09

English - British
Hi,

I am trying to explain that if I were to do a certain task (speaking exclusively in French during a meeting without a break) then "I would be falling asleep before the second cup of coffee (has been drunk)".

My effort is "J'évanouirais avant de la deuxième tasse de café".

However, I don't know if this is a phrase which can be translated directly.

• yannalan

france, french, breton
    J e m'endormirais...
    -avant le deuxième café
    -avant la deuxième tase de café)
    -avant d'avoir pris mon deucième café

temple09

English - British
    Thank you. I wrote "cup of" because I assume that if I just say "le café" then it might appear as if I plan to go to lots of cafés! :)

temple09

English - British
    Really? This confuses me, since it would be surely just as easy to drink two coffees in one café as it would be to drink in two cafés (i.e. change venue for whatever reason). Could "avant le deuxième café" not mean both of those possibilities?

temple09

English - British
    Oh O.k.
    So if I wanted to say "before the second café" in this example (i.e. "I would be falling asleep before (we reach) the second café") then it would be grammatically wrong to say "avant le deuxième café"?
    I do apologise for labouring over this one. I hope you understand that I do like to know the relevance of what I am saying, so that I can use it in future examples and avoid making mistakes in different contexts.

yannalan

france, french, breton
    je m'endormirais avant d'arriver au deuxième café.
    Your sentence would not be grammatically wrong. Ir is an affair of context.
    If you want to ask other things, you are welcome

< Previous | Next >