before the swimming pool (is/has been/was) built

EdisonBhola

Korean
Hi all,

I found the following question in a grammar book:

Before the swimming pool ______ , people had to swim in the sea.

A) is built
B) has been built
C) was built

According to the model answer, "was built" is correct. But I wonder if "has been built" is also acceptable. "Has been built" stresses that the building of the pool is over and the time of which is not stated.

Am I right?

• reno33

English - USA
    No, you're not right. The correct answer is "was built. Your analysis of why "has been built" is the correct answer also applies to "was built" so it is not a legitimate explanation.

The difference between was written/has been written is in the main, one of time. They both mean that the "writing" is completed. For simplicity's sake I will say that "was written" implies a distant past while "has been written" implies a more recent past.........but.....I'll admit, it is much more complicated than that.

EdisonBhola

Korean
    No, you're not right. The correct answer is "was built. Your analysis of why "has been built" is the correct answer also applies to "was built" so it is not a legitimate explanation.

The difference between was written/has been written is in the main, one of time. They both mean that the "writing" is completed. For simplicity's sake I will say that "was written" implies a distant past while "has been written" implies a more recent past.........but.....I'll admit, it is much more complicated than that.
    But what if "people had to swim" also referred to the recent past, say 3 weeks ago, and the pool was built last week? Does "has been built" work in this case? :)

reno33

English - USA
    Sorry...I don't understand your question or the situation you describe. It's very confusing.

< Previous | Next >