before they accede to positions of power <beyond> the administrative level

< Previous | Next >

NewAmerica

Banned
Mandarin
Does "beyond" here mean "more or greater than a particular amount, level, or limit"(Longman Dictionary)?

If so, it is confusing to me that the author says "it will take several generations before they accede to positions of power beyond the administrative level." Because, the administrative level is most powerful in society (For example: Trump's administration is the most powerful administration, that is, it has the highest administrative level at present, regardless one likes it or not).

Thanks in advance
Once Again, No Female Nobel Winners in Science
<......>
In Western Europe, this era is more or less over, but naturally the vestiges of it remain: although girls are reclaiming the world of science little by little, it will take several generations before they accede to positions of power beyond the administrative level.

-Scientific American

Source

• Florentia52

Modwoman in the attic
    English - United States
    But there is no way that one can be higher than US President's administrative level. If Hillary were elected President, she would be equal to the level, not higher than it.
    Your quoted text is not discussing Secretary Clinton or the U.S. presidency; it's discussing how women in the sciences, if they are able to achieve positions of power at all, gain them only in administrative areas, not in research.

Keith Bradford

English (Midlands UK)
    I think we mean different things by "administrative". This sentence has nothing to do with the US president.

An administrator is a person who manages, especially at a routine level in a large organisation. In #1, the power is with (let's say) the director of a scientific research establishment. Beneath him he may have assistant directors, heads of departments, etc. Beneath them they have administrators - office managers, clerks and secretaries. It is at this level that women were prevented from climbing higher.

I's also called a glass ceiling.

< Previous | Next >