Beg, plead, entreat, implore

< Previous | Next >
  • Cagey

post mod (English Only / Latin)
    English - US
    Hello godzillakabaap,

Welcome to the forum. :)

Please include a sentence with every question. In this case, you could give us a sentence in which you think you would use these words, and we can talk about the differences in meaning they have in that context.

Or you can find a sentence containing one of these words and ask whether the other words could be used instead. (Follow these instructions Finding Examples in Context.) If you do this, please remember to name the source.

godzillakabaap

Hindi
    Okay, here are a couple of sentences taken from OALD:

1) They begged him for help.
    2) "Give me one more chance," he begged her.
    3) He begged to be told the truth.

Now, I would like to know which of the other three words -- plead, entreat, implore -- can be substituted for beg, and if so, why?

Thanks in advance.

Sun14

Chinese
    From Collins:

Beg: If you beg someone to do something, you ask them very anxiously or eagerly to do it.

Beseech :If you beseech someone to do something, you ask them very eagerly and anxiously.

Implore: If you implore someone to do something, you ask them to do it in a forceful, emotional way.

Intreat: If you entreat someone to do something, you ask them very politely and seriously to do it.

Plead: If you plead with someone to do something, you ask them in an intense, emotional way to do it.

Actually, you can detect the nuance from the adverbial in the definition, but you should notice that plead collocates with with to convey the meaning in the definition. And we can also find that beg and beseech roughly mean the same from the definition, but beseech is rarely used as we can see on the Googol Ngram Viewer: https://books.google.com/ngrams/gra...;.t1;,entreat;,c0;.t1;,plead;,c0;.t1;,beg;,c0

That is all I can help. Let's wait for the native speakers' advice.

< Previous | Next >