begging themselves

hly2004

Banned
chinese
Hello, everyone:

But, he said, in the seventh decade of microelectronics, there are quite a few questions begging themselves as we approach 2007. Those include "inventory overhang" - that is to say too much stock, and the impact of private equity investment on the industry.

What's the meaning of "begging themselves"?

• jimreilly

American English
    This is an odd usage, which I have never seen before, probably related to "going begging" (remaining unsatisfied or unsanswered). But something does not beg itself, i.e. "beg" is not reflexive, at least not in this way. Could it be a (literal) mistranslation from some other language? Or be written by someone who is not a native English speaker?

You could say "there are quite a few questions demanding answers as we approach 2007" and it would make more sense, or you could say "there are quite a few questions which remain unanswered as we approach 2007." I think the second alternative is probably the meaning intended.

papillon

Russian (Ukraine)
    Hello hly2004,
    this expression looks like an odd usage of a common phrase :"this begs the question", meaning this raises the question.
    - John came home at 3 am last night.
    - Well, this begs the question: was this just another late night meeting or is there something going on behind your back?

I agree, question don't normally beg themselves...

Joelline

American English
    I agree with Papillon; my first thought was that this was a reference to the logical fallacy known as "begging the question." However, "begging the question" does not mean "raising the question" (as the Wiki article points out.

Finally, the phrasing, however, is unusal.

maxiogee

Banned
    English
    Hello, everyone:

What's the meaning of "begging themselves"?

beg the question
    This is to assume the truth of something that cannot be taken for granted. The phrase does not correctly mean either 'pose a question' or 'avoid giving a straight answer to it'.
    (From Fowler's Usage and Abusage)