begin with a girl

JeongminSon

Korean
Before the concert, I thought that the instruments might sound strange.
< ---- >
The first thing I noticed was their instruments: a cello made out of a shiny oil tank, a violin made with forks, and a flute made with a water pipe and buttons.
The concert began with a girl playing Bach's Cello Suite No. 1 on her shiny cello.
< ---- >
I was so into the music that I forgot that they were playing with instruments made from recycled materials.

In the passage above, does it mean that the girl started to play Bach's Cello Suite No. 1 and after she finished playing it , did other players play the violin and flute. Or, the girl started to play Bach's Cello Suite No. 1 and while she was playing the cello, other players started playing their instruments?

I've never been to the orchestra and have no idea the order of the instruments and can't catch the exact situation.
Thank you always for your angel-like hearts. ^_^

< Edited to comply with 4-sentence limit on quotation (Rule 4). Cagey, moderator >

Last edited by a moderator:
  • entangledbank

English - South-East England
    'The concert began with X', where X is a piece of music, normally means that X is played as the first piece. Then they play other pieces. It would be highly unusual to interrupt a piece, or change to something else, before finishing it.

Also, the Bach cello suites are for unaccompanied cello, so she played it alone, but that's not a matter of language.

JeongminSon

Korean
    'The concert began with X', where X is a piece of music, normally means that X is played as the first piece. Then they play other pieces. It would be highly unusual to interrupt a piece, or change to something else, before finishing it.

Also, the Bach cello suites are for unaccompanied cello, so she played it alone, but that's not a matter of language.
    I understood perfectly thanks to your clear explanation. ^_^ Thanks a million.