beginning to shoot at jackals

< Previous | Next >

user_gary

Banned
India - Hindi
The sportsmen never saw a tiger, nor did they shoot anything else, though they saw number of deer, peacock, and wild board. They were giving up all hope of finding a tiger, and were beginning to shoot at jackals, when Grandfather, strolling down the forest path at some distance from the rest of the party, discovered a little tiger about eighteen inches long, hiding among the intricate roots of a banyan tre. Grandfather picked him up, and brought him home after the camp had broken up. He had the distinction of being the only member of the party to have bagged any game, dead or alive.

Now, new doubt struck on my mind. In the first red line, the author says the hunters did not shoot anything but the violet line shows they did shoot jackal.

So, I got confused.

Could you help me?

• cycloneviv

English - Australia
    I think it's saying they hadn't succesfully shot anything. They began to "shoot at" jackals, but that doesn't mean they actually shot any; they just shot in the jackals' direction, trying to shoot them.

I hope that helps. :)

tomandjerryfan

English (Canada)
    I think they were trying to find a tiger, but hadn't seen one yet. They only saw the other animals that are listed in the story. When they were starting to give up, they started shooting at the jackals, which doesn't imply the jackals were actually struck by the bullets.

< Previous | Next >