Beijing has made rapid progress and it has already succeeded in hosting the 2008 Olympic Games.

< Previous | Next >

brian&me

Chinese - China
China has developed rapidly since the reform and opening-up. More and more ring roads and subways have appeared and buildings in Beijing are becoming taller and brighter. ... Beijing has made rapid progress and it has already succeeded in hosting the 2008 Olympic Games. I think it is important to remember the past, live in the present and dream about the future.

(Project English 9B, Wang Dechun, an English textbook for junior middle school students in China)

This book was printed in 2014 and the book doesn’t show when the passage was written. If we suppose it was written just after the 2008 Beijing Olympic Games, the tense of and it has already succeeded in hosting the 2008 Olympic Games is OK. If we suppose it was written in 2014, the tense of this sentence is not OK and it’s a bad argument. I think this passage is another example of unsatisfactory writing style

What do you say?

Thanks a lot in advance.

• Copyright

American English
    As you suggest, it's a sentence written at a particular time for a particular event – change the time of writing and you would want to change the construction.

< Previous | Next >