Beijing opera

< Previous | Next >

Kacy.H

Chinese
Wikipedia uses Beijing opera whereas the New York Times uses the Beijing Opera.

WechatIMG1.jpeg

On that day, we will perform Beijing opera/the Beijing Opera for seniors there.
This is my sentence. Which one should I use? Thanks!

Last edited:
  • Kacy.H

Chinese
    Neither. Why do you want to change the original sentence in a way that changes the meaning very substantially?
    I'm not changing the original sentence. I posted the quote to show you that the New York Times uses 'the Beijing Opera'.

I'm asking when writing my own sentence ' we will perform Beijing opera/the Beijing Opera for seniors there' , which one should I use.

Thanks

GreenWhiteBlue

USA - English
    I'm not changing the original sentence.
    Yes, you have entirely changed the meaning of it.

I posted the quote to show you that the New York Times uses 'the Beijing Opera'.
    ... which you then used in an entirely different way.

I'm asking when writing my own sentence ' we will perform Beijing opera/the Beijing Opera for seniors there' , which one should I use.
    I understood your question perfectly. I therefore answered that you should use neither, because you are changing the meaning of the sentence.

Kacy.H

Chinese
    Yes, you have entirely changed the meaning of it.

... which you then used in an entirely different way.

I understood your question perfectly. I therefore answered that you should use neither, because you are changing the meaning of the sentence.
    Thank you!

Then, what should I use in my sentence? How to say what I want to say?

On that day, we will perform Beijing opera/the Beijing Opera for seniors at the nursing home. This is a great way to show them that we as the young generation do value tradition culture.

GreenWhiteBlue

USA - English
    Do you see what the original said? They are not performing "Beijing opera", nor are they performing "the Beijing Opera." They are performing "excerpts from the Beijing Opera." You cannot eliminate words willy-nilly and expect the sentence to mean the same thing.

Kacy.H

Chinese
    Do you see what the original said? They are not performing "Beijing opera", nor are they performing "the Beijing Opera." They are performing "excerpts from the Beijing Opera." You cannot eliminate words willy-nilly and expect the sentence to mean the same thing.
    I see, I see. Thank you!

Kacy.H

Chinese
    I have one more question. For 'the Beijing Opera', I have to say perform excerpts from the Beijing Opera. But I can just say perform folk songs and perform opera? Am I right?

< Previous | Next >