Beijing or Beijing City

< Previous | Next >

Shimmer Dancer

Chinese
Hi everyone, when we refer to Beijing, do we need add "city" after it? For example, I wrote an article and need to put my name and city below, do I use Beijing City or simply Beijing?

• Dretagoto

Inglés británico
    No, you don't need to put "city", only Beijing. We only add city where it is actually part of the name, and that's rare (usually it is where the city shares a name with the country or state, for example New York City, Panama City, Mexico City). In English, Beijing is just Beijing.

Shimmer Dancer

Chinese
    oh... I often see "Beijing" alone without "city," but I found other cities, for example, Shenzhen, is sometimes followed by the word "city." I am not sure if it has something to do with Chinese city naming system.

entangledbank

English - South-East England
    If there was a Shenzhen County or a Shenzhen Province, it would sometimes be useful or necessary to distinguish the city this way, but it is wrong in English to just add 'city' after any city name.

Edinburgher

German/English bilingual
    Typically it would be unnecessary to add "province", unless it helps to resolve an ambiguity with "city".
    We also sometimes (probably more often) say "province of X" or "city of X" instead of "X province" or "X city".

natkretep

Moderato con anima (English Only)
    English (Singapore/UK), basic Chinese
    In some languages a generic label is required for use with place names. English is not one of them.

One exception that you might have encountered in 'London town', sometimes used in songs or in a whimsical fashion. This is the only exception that I can think of if we discount instances where you need to distinguish between the city and the county, province etc.

Irish counties are also a bit of a quirk in that they are often prefaced by the generic: County Clare, County Tyrone, County Wexford etc.

entangledbank

English - South-East England
    We would never say Nebraska state or Queensland state or Kent county (in the UK*), but as we move into less familiar countries or names, the qualifier is sometimes used: Madhya Pradesh state or Guandong province. Even Manitoba province, which shouldn't count as less familiar.

* US counties are actually called things like Kent County.

< Previous | Next >