Being a great fan of soccer Andrew started - when?

Discussion in 'English Only' started by MaximuS.111, Jan 7, 2012.

1. MaximuS.111

MaximuS.111 Senior Member

ukraine
    russian
    Hello!
    I've got a sentence here: being a great fan of soccer Andrew started to play it when he was very young.
    As I understand, the sentence states that Andrew was a great fan of soccer when he was very young, but doesn't say anything about today's loyalty of Andrew towards soccer?
    If so, how do I change it to indicate that he is now a great fan too or alternatively no longer is?
    Being and remaining great fan of soccer Andrew started to play it when he was very young. OK?
    Andrew started playing soccer while being a great fan of it at very young age, however he no longer likes it. OK?
    Thanks in advance! :)

2. boozer Senior Member

Bulgaria
    Bulgarian
    Firstly, the sentence strongly suggests Andrew is a great fan of soccer still. :) I mean, it takes additional knowledge about Andrew to infer he no longer likes soccer. In fact, the sentence tells me strictly that he still likes football and I presume he also did like football as a boy. :)

Then, if you want to emphasise Andrew's current passion for football using a similar sentence structure, you could say:
    Having always been a great soccer fan, Andrew....
    But that would be a huge case of overkill :D because even your initial sentence implies the same.

3. MaximuS.111

ukraine
    russian
    thanks for joining bozzer!
    How do you know that Andrew is still a fan? Are you saying that being a great fan of soccer refers both to the past and the present? Why so?

4. boozer Senior Member

Bulgaria
    Bulgarian
    It is difficult to explain why I interpret it this way, but I will venture to say this: "being a great fan of soccer" is a timeless and tenseless participial clause. On top of that you have the link verb "to be" so I find it hard to imagine he is no longer a football fan. Additional context might lead me to conclude that the participial clause only refers to the past or the present, but the way it is now, the sentence tells me he was and is a soccer fan. :)

5. MaximuS.111

ukraine
    russian
    OK, thanks a lot! Best of luck! :)

6. sound shift

sound shift Senior Member

Derby (central England)
    English - England
    There are two things here - his interest and his participation - so there are various combinations to express:

1) He is still interested and he still plays. You could say He has played football since childhood.
    2) He is still interested but he doesn't play any more. You could say He has been interested in football since childhood, but no longer plays.
    3) He is no longer interested and he no longer plays. You could say He started playing football as a child but he doesn't play any more and is no longer interested in the game.

I think few native speakers would produce your sample sentence (post no. 1) in speech. Starting a sentence with "being" is not a very conversational style.

Last edited: Jan 7, 2012
  7. MaximuS.111

ukraine
    russian
    thanks a lot, sound shift! Good luck! :)