..."being a narrative" of their own lives

dreamerinthedream

Chinese-Taiwan
From "Teachers as Course Developers" by Jack C. Richards

Hi, thank you for trying to help out.
In the text, where a course designer was talking about :
"I thought that they[students] would like to describe an object they were fond of and later describe a person they liked very much. A way of introducing a narrative that was close to their reality would be starting their own timeline; besides "being a narrative" of their own lives, it is something they are used to doing in their history classes.

I don't quite understand what "being a narrative of their own lives" mean.
I think it is "being a narrative" that confuses me so that I cannot relate how that is something they are used to doing in the history classes.
Thank you so much again for helping me.

• kitenok

Hi dreamer,

"Being a narrative of their own lives" is a noun phrase that is the object of the preposition "besides" (which here means "in addition to"). To paraphrase the sentence: "in addition to the fact that it is a narrative of their own lives, it is something they are used to doing in their history classes."

"It" refers to "timeline" - a linear diagram that lists events in chronological order, like this. If the students make a timeline that lists events from their own lives, they are producing something that is a "narrative of their own lives" and "something that they are used to doing in their history classes" (because history classes often use such timelines).

< Previous | Next >