being charged by a bison

< Previous | Next >

NewAmerica

Banned
Mandarin
The expression "being charged by a bison" appears to have two different meanings:

(1) being attacked by a bison.

(2) (the bird-headed human is) riding on a bison.

I guess (1) is correct. But I am not sure.

Which is correct?

The oldest such example from Europe is a half-lion, half-human ivory figure from Germany that researchers have estimated to be 40,000 years old — although some suggest that it might be significantly younger. A roughly 17,000 year-old painting of a bird-headed human being charged by a bison, from Lascaux Cave, is considered to be one of the earliest depictions of a clear scene in European rock art.

Source: Nature. 11 DECEMBER 2019
Is this cave painting humanity’s oldest story?

• Packard

USA, English
    Or a bison has whipped out his American Express Card. :D

Realistically only being attacked by a bison makes any sense. The image does not show a bird headed human on the bison in any event. It shows a bird headed human being attacked by a bison:

NewAmerica

Banned
    Mandarin
    Thank you guys.

Hello,
    I'm curious, where did you find the second meaning?
    The word charge has a connotation of "the responsibility or duty of looking after somebody or something" and it appeared to be the responsibility of a bison or buffalo to take the duty of being ridden by the mythological figure (in traditional Chinese culture, the world renowned Laozi is always riding on a buffalo - I think I've been deeply influenced by this image).

Ponyprof

Canadian English
    Thank you guys.

The word charge has a connotation of "the responsibility or duty of looking after somebody or something" and it appeared to be the responsibility of a bison or buffalo to take the duty of being ridden by the mythological figure (in traditional Chinese culture, the world renowned Laozi is always riding on a buffalo - I think I've been deeply influenced by this image).
    Interesting! I think the photo that accompanies the link as well as the article itself make it clear that this is a hunt.

In general prehistoric hunter gatherer societies did not domesticate large prey animals, and they only hunted buffalo, oxen, horses, but never tamed or rode them.

When civilization developed to have farming, then we see animals used for riding or for pulling loads.

Also the Asian domestic water buffalo is quite a different creature than the wild North American plains buffalo. Though some risk takers do tame plains buffalo and ride them.

kentix

English - U.S.
    Lascaux Cave is in France and these are European bison. Very large creatures still.

The Wikipedia article says they aren't as easy to tame as American bison.

< Previous | Next >